Effective communication shouldn’t be served late — whipped together so it appears in a hodgepodge of messages, voices, and looks. But too often, communication techniques are considered only after a health, wellness or benefits program has been developed.
There is a better way — a framework that includes a place to begin, plus practical steps that build upon each other. Companies that follow this process can take the mystery out of figuring out what to say and when to say it:
1. Discover what employees want — and how they want it. Your audience matters most. Let this information guide you.
2. Organize your thinking into general categories. Categorize your thinking into sections that match your mission and employees’ needs.
3. Think of seasons of the year and seasons of life. Instead of grabbing at straws, grab a calendar. Plan messages in advance.
4. Take advantage of National Health Observances. They can help you build monthly and weekly components of your plan, and present opportunities to work with others in the community.
5. Deliver messages frequently and in multiple formats. Your communication options (including video and electronic) have never been more powerful or exciting.
6. Connect people using new media tools. You no longer have to do all the communicating.
7. Promote your program and build a sense of urgency. Give them benefits, and promote with emotion.
8. Build the nuts and bolts of your content deployment. An editorial calendar and production task list helps employees receive relevant, consistent communication at the times you need, through the mediums you choose.
9. Customize to your culture. Customized communication reflects where you live and work, and why those places matter.
10. Outsource the communication work — and do it yourself, too. Determine how much your own team should do. Outside partners can bring valuable experience, infrastructure, technology, and ideas.
Find out more, including samples of how to build an actionable communication plan, in our new eBook that makes the best case for wellness today.
New Perspectives in Wellness & Benefits Communications
Trends that will Change Everything… Truths You Should Realize…
and a Communication Plan of Action You Can Follow Today
Download your FREE copy by clicking here. No sign-in required.