People talk, email, chat, post, and text all the time, so it’s common (but incorrect) to assume communication is easy and intuitive.
That’s why it’s vital to rely on solid building blocks — ageless communication concepts that are mistakenly ignored — when developing health, wellness, and benefits programs.
Let these 7 valuable communication concepts serve as the base of your health, wellness and benefits messaging:
1. A flawed plan well communicated is better than a perfect plan poorly communicated. Having a feature-rich wellness plan or benefits package is useless if employees aren’t aware of the value.
2. If you think “plain language” is “dumbing down,” you flatter yourself. Businesses that want to sound “official” usually end up sounding egotistical or confusing. The intent of their messages is lost in the delivery. Clarity is key.
3. Creativity is a precursor to engagement. Conventional health communication appeals to the head but not the heart, embodying science but lacking sentiment.
4. Less is more. Think “telegraph message.” The average attention span of Americans today is roughly the time it has taken you to read this sentence.
5. People understand real risk, not relative risk. But we communicate in terms of relative risk (% of what?) rather than real risk (x out of xx people).
6. Headlines are critical. Most people don’t really read. “Scannable” elements such as headlines, subheads, captions, and lists are key.
7. Print communication will not disappear. The print medium isn’t dead, it’s just changing — companies need to make it more timely and customized.
8. Simple beats complex. Small beats big. Easy beats hard. Well-crafted messages can spur employees to action, but change is more realistic when it’s less idealistic — when it encourages minor changes rather than massive overhauls.
If you sense communication could be the driver to employee satisfaction and engagement, download our new eBook that makes the best case for wellness today –
New Perspectives in Wellness & Benefits Communications Trends that will Change Everything… Truths You Should Realize… and a Communication Plan of Action You Can Follow Today
Download your FREE copy by clicking here. No sign-in required.