The health of any organization lies in its culture. Without a healthy workplace culture, you can’t have happy, healthy, productive employees who are excited to come to work and give their jobs their all.
Unfortunately, many companies fail to take the preventive-care approach of using communication effectively or frequently enough to reduce the risk of culture problems and “disease.”
Are you experiencing any of these 7 toxic culture symptoms?
- Key employees leaving
- High stress levels among employees who do stay
- Lack of trust among employees
- Uneasiness and resistance to new initiatives or change
- Lack of collaboration or sharing of information
- Lack of employee participation in company events and programs
- An increase in employee health issues and claims, including more strains, sprains, low-back injuries, behavioral issues, and headaches
Organizations may avoid these symptoms with regular, frequent, positive communication – whether verbal, print, and/or electronic.
- Consistent, meaningful communication sends the message that your organization values employees as whole people.
- Employees feel noticed, respected, and appreciated, which can lead to optimal health, upbeat attitudes, and more energy – all of which employees bring to work.
If you’re looking for simple strategies to include regular doses of the communication vitamin at your workplace, here are two:
- A newsletter (either print or electronic) – Feature employee success stories, update employees about company news, events, and benefits, and share valuable health and wellness information.
For ideas, check out these examples of how your colleagues are using newsletters in their organizations with great success.
- A Facebook Private Group Page – In addition to using the page for the organization to post information and recognitions, a page gives employees the opportunity to share content, feel like they have a voice, and to build comradery with their co-workers.
What communication challenges are you facing? Let’s find a solution that works for you. Reach me at firstname.lastname@example.org or 800-334-4094.